E. Smith & Company
was formed in 1904 by Edward E. Smith. His intent was to broker grains
and feed ingredients and then deliver them by wagon and rail to the
Terminal Station in Atlanta. Smith took product samples to the two
flour mills and three feed mills in Atlanta and received a brokerage
fee for sales to these companies. He took in a partner, Theo Martin,
in the 1920's and the business became Smith & Martin for over
partnership dissolved in the 1930's and Smith operated with the help
of his two daughters into the 1940's. Following World War II Smith's
son, Blanton Smith, and son in-law, James B. Crew, joined the company
and eventually became partners.
William (Bill) Smith, Jr., son-in-law of James B Crew, joined
Edward E. Smith & Co., in October 1966. He became President in
1980 upon conversion from a partnership to a corporation. He now manages
a separate, independent company, E. E. Smith Trading Company.
C. (Bo) Smith, Jr., grandson of Edward E. Smith, joined the company
in December 1980, and is now the owner. Recently the company moved
to a new location: 3179 Maple Drive, Atlanta, GA 30305. As a family-owned
and operated business, the brokerage has prospered through the years,
celebrated its centennial in 2004, and continues to provide outstanding
service to its customers.